Misuse of fireworks at home is the most common cause of injuries and unofficial bonfires not only cause a nuisance to local people and greatly impact on the community as a whole, they tie up fire engines that should be undertaking vital life-saving prevention work or attending real emergencies.
Dave Turton, Head of Community Safety for Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “Our message this year is simple: Be Safe Not Sorry. It is much safer to leave the handling of fireworks to the experts on secure cordoned off sites for organised displays where you will be well away from danger. Many have music, food and other entertainment and can be great fun in a safe environment.
“Every year, children and adults are injured due to the misuse of fireworks and unofficial bonfires.
The most common injuries are to the hand, wrists and eyes and a lot of these are caused by sparklers which is not surprising as they burn at over 2000oC.
“Parents may not realise how dangerous sparklers are and we strongly advise not to give them to children.
“We want everyone to enjoy this time of year so please heed our advice and remember the safest way to enjoy Bonfire Night is to attend an organised display.”
There are organised displays taking place on:
Wednesday November 1
· New Marske. Marske Sports Club.7.30pm. Entry is £3 each or family of 4, £10
Friday November 3
· Redcar Rugby Union Football Club, Mackinlay Park, Green Lane, Redcar. 6.30pm. No onsite parking. Tickets are available from the club. Adults, £4 (concessions £2), Family Tickets £10.
· Marton Cricket Club, Stokesley Road, Marton, Middlesbrough. Firework display 7.15pm. Adults £4 U16s £3. Advance early bird family ticket £10 (2 Adults 2 U16s) Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
Saturday November 4
· Skinningrove. Skinningrove beach and seafront. 6.30pm. Free.
· Thornaby Cricket Club, Mandale Bottoms, Acklam Road, Thornaby. Firework display 7.15pm. Tickets are now on sale from the Cricket Club. Monday-Friday 7.30pm, Sat-Sun 12.30 pm. Adults £3, u16s £1.50, Family ticket £7 (2 Adults 2 u16s)
Sunday November 5
· Stockton Riverside. Fireworks Spectacular. Roadshow from 6.30pm, Firework display 7.30pm. Free. Detailshttps://events.stockton.gov.uk/stockton-events/stockton-fireworks-3/
· Seaton Carew Front, Hartlepool. Fireworks Spectacular. Fun fair from 4pm, entertainment and music from 5pm. Display 6.30pm Free. More details www.hartlepool.gov.uk
· Corus Sports and Social Centre, South Avenue, Dormanstown, Redcar. Sunday 5 November. 7pm (gates open 6pm). Entry £1.
· Acklam Rugby Club, Talbot Park, Saltersgill Avenue, Middlesbrough. Bonfire lit 6pm, firework display 7pm. Tickets priced £5 adults, £3 children, £10 family ticket (2 adults 2 children) available from the club.